Wednesday, May 6, 2009

New in the garden*



I was able to harvest enough snap pole beans for two to go with our steaks. That was fun since I have never been this successful with vegetable gardening before. I have been really lucky with pests this year. I picked on two catapillars and fed them to the birds. There are some aphids on my pea plants now but I used insecticidal soap to rid them. There are dozens of lady bugs in my garden which really helps.



The swiss chard has germinated and is making it's debut. Chard is a first for me. I first considered it when listening to Geek Farm Life podcast and they discussed how easy it is to grow and described it's tasty merits.

The snap beans are all coming in at once. I don't know if it's the type where the more you pick them, the higher the yield. We will see.



The serranos are starting to come in. They are looking a little weak, I don't know how many I will get from this one plant.



The one Poblano plant I have is fruiting one large pepper, it remains to be seen if this is the only one.

5 comments:

Larry said...

looks good-I can't wait to get my garden going now.

Charlotte said...

The garden looks nice. Did the pepper plant have several blossoms on it? If it did, there might still be hope.

Craftiness said...

Good luck Larry! Do post about your garden.

Yes Charlotte the pepper plant has some live blossoms and some dried blossoms on it. I'm worried that something is interfering with the pepper developement. I see a few insects but none that scream pest so I have left those alone.

Kara Witham said...

Yum yum yum! I love peapods! And they're so expensive at the grocery store.

Kara Witham said...

I wish I could have a veggie garden, but I'm in Chicago, no real yard. Maybe I could do a container garden, don't know. Like to see your projects, lovely.