Saturday, September 19, 2009

Farm House Delivery

FarmHouse Deliveryis a local organic farm delivery service here in Austin. I have found it somewhat difficult to go 100% organic in the past due to access and costs but it is getting easier to make the transition in Austin. This company is a great example of the innovative leadership we have in sustainable agricultural practices in this area. Their delivery service make it possible to have locally grown organic produce at our table. The cost is on par with our organic supermarket called Central Market in Austin and it is delivered to our door. We don't have a say in our produce bushel but they do give you ideas and recipes to use. The big advantage of this system is it pushes me out of my comfort zone in regards to veges and allows me to experience vegetables I have never tried before. My parents idea of vegetables growing up was whatever came in a can on sale so my produce experience has been quite limited. The unknown produce bushel invites me instantly into a culinary adventure that is only limited to my imagination.
My bushel includes a package of purple okra which I roasted in an oven at 375 degrees next to my highly processed frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu (remember, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step:) It was smokey, crunchy and even darling husband really liked it on top of his salad. This is a huge step for him because he will tolerate a salad but other than that he has already decided he doesn't like vegetables. As for my flourishing vege garden he comments, "Let me know when you learn to grow pizza!"
I also received tomatoes, fresh black-eyed peas, corn, pumpkin, sweet peppers, Texas Pears, summer squash, cucumber, eggplant and buttercrunch lettuce. I was able to order duck eggs, goat and bison meat as extras. With the duck eggs so far I sauteed the sweet peppers and onion to make an omelette topped off with mozarella cheese. I ate this with whole wheat toast with homemade blueberry jam. It really was delishes and satiating.
The duck eggs have a really hard shell and you really have to give it a good whack to get to the good stuff. Commercial chicken operations feed lower calcium feed in order to save money so their egg shells are thinner. Also, ducks need harder shells because they are larger birds and if they brood on weak eggs, they would be crushed.
Next up is the squash and pumpkin. I roasted the squash and made curry squash soup. It is delicious, I really like this recipe which you can find here. I stored them in two 32 oz freezer jars to enjoy next month when the weather is cooler. So healthy too. Healthy eating can be much more delicious than highly processed food. It's also nice to know exactly what goes into your dinners. If you are really interested in what goes into your food, the junk you buy in the supermarket or the junk you buy in the drive-thru, may I suggest reading Deconstructing Dinner website or subscribe to their podcasts if you are wired-up. For a great article on "Why Grass Fed" is best, click here!

Last up is Pear Dutch Baby dessert made from the Texas Pears. Texas Pears are more fibrous than the type you buy at the supermarket and eat fresh. They are used in cooking or sliced up to put in salads. It reminds me of bread pudding in texture. It really is as good as it looks in the picture.

3 comments:

Julie said...

You're so loopy. Vegetables naturally come in cans loaded with sodium...You use them to crack open the duck eggs!

Craftiness said...

I always enjoy your wit and there really isn't a word in the English language that quite describes you now is there....

Julie said...

I told Jace your comment and asked if that was good or bad...He said, "Yes."