Friday, May 7, 2010

Homemade Lip Balm

Darling Daughter and I decided to make homemade lip balm. I didn't know it was easy until I came across this recipe.
First we grated the beeswax and added the almond oil. We microwaved the mixture until just melted and added honey. When the mixture cooled a little, we added orange essential oil and poured into tins. The mixture cooled pretty fast. I substituted orange essential oil for almond extract.
We used local honey from Round Rock Honey that we just bought at the Austin Farmers Market at the Triangle.

It turned out great and I had enough to share with friends. Bianca took some to school with her too. I bought some of the ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs.
I got the idea on making body products and cleaning products from these books below. Super Natural Home has a useful quiz at the beginning of the book to illustrate how many environmental hazards we are exposed to on a daily basis. This book encompasses not only cleaning products but also bath & beauty as well as our food. Beth Greer touches on the same subjects as was covered in the documentaries Food, Inc. and The Future Of Food. Deirdre Imus also touched on many of the same concerns in her book, The Essential Green You. It can be overwhelming trying to make the change to a healthier environment but both books emphasize it's possible with just a few baby steps at a time. My goal is to reduce toxic exposure by 25-50% per year. Bath products are on the current agenda, next are cleaning products. Good luck to you and let me know what changes you have made.

No comments: