Sunday, February 20, 2011

Teen Style Urban Homesteading





Darling Daughter and I went to an amazing Teen Conference organized by the Girl Scouts. The keynote speaker was Olga Campos, a local TV anchor woman. She gave a really good speech about how the world is at their feet and it is up to them to make the most of it. I knew DD was listening when she shot me an "I told you so" glance when Mrs. Campos said, "And your parents can only do so much, it's up to you to do the rest". We were lucky to experience Bollywood Dancing from Bollywood Shake and Capoeira from Capoeira Evolucao.

While she was smoozing with her dear GS friends, mama was at the
Book Woman table perusing all the great reads geared toward teens and college bound girls. I came across this FABULOUS cookbook. I had to have it for DD. The recipes were easy and the first part of the book goes over what you should have in your college apartment kitchen. This type of cooking is too sophisticated for on-campus dorms but perfect for those private dorm suites where 6 people share a kitchen. The recipes are easy and DD is motivated to cook some of the recipes for the family. Hmmm..... another chore I can delegate.. I lOVE teen girls:p



Tonight she made a pear and chocolate dessert and chicken and rice. Both so incredibly easy, it's really cheater cooking, perfect for college students and a high school girl practicing before college. She calculated about $2 per serving. Even though she is using processed ingredients, it is more nutritionally dense than fast food. It's also less than half the cost. A winner. So, how does this relate to homesteading? The only link I can make is that 1) She is learning to cook, sort of and 2) She is learning to be independant of cafeterias and fast food.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Nice! You're doing really smart things with your daughter. Way to stand up for the urban homesteading movement. I'm on my way to write my post. If they send me a letter, I will frame it.

Tina said...

We have a lot of fun together. She is really learning life skills while having fun. I guess that's the secret, don't let them know they are learning anything, otherwise...lots of eye rolling and 'oh mother'.