Sunday, September 2, 2012

Farmer by proxy...

 Life happens.  I am exceptionally busy with other work projects at this time and am unable to maintain my vege and herb garden.  The timing is unfortunate as Winter is THE time to vege garden in Texas.  Our mild winters mean we can grow spring crops in the Fall and all of the usual Winter fare without many pests or frosts.  Instead of trying and failing to maintain a
vege garden at this time, I subscribed to Johnson's Backyard CSA.  I was already familiar with CSA's and I picked this one because of my friends experience with this particular farmer.  I will be turning over my dead plants, re-compost, add horse manure and re-mulch, lay the garden beds fallow until Spring. The soil was looking a bit abused anyway, might just be a good time for a rest.
 Meanwhile I have a lot of veges to prepare before my next delivery.  As I opened the box, a moment of cautious tension rose.  "Will I be able to use all of the veges? I don't want to waste food.  Will I like the veges in the box?"  The difference between growing your own and subscribing to a CSA box is that you have no control over the vegetables.  Instead of seeing this as a hindrance, I am taking this on as a challenge!

EGGPLANT:(

Except for Moussaka,

 I HATE, am learning to embrace new challenges (like a good, little Girl Scout).  I scoured my usual internet sources for eggplant recipes.  There aren't many, maybe my endearment toward this nightshade is somewhat common.  The perennial favorite seems to be Eggplant Parmesan.  Sounds easy, I have made Chicken Parmesan before.  This is actually EASIER!  It actually turned out, very much to my surprise, VERY good.  Darling hubby liked it too!!

These little purple eggplants worked great!  I don't recommend the Black Beauties, their texture is rubbery.

Eggplant in 1/2 inch slices
Cooking Spray or Oil
Marinara sauce
Provolone Cheese
Mozarella Cheese
Parmesan Cheese
Fresh Basil

The amounts are relative to how many people you are cooking for and what you have on hand.  Very flexible.

Bake Eggplant on cookie sheet at 350 for 20-30 minutes.  Set aside.  In a baking dish spoon marinara sauce and layer eggplant, provolone, parmesan, marinara, eggplant, mozarella, parmesan, basil.   Bake at 350 until hot and bubbly.  EZ Peasy!!  I loved it and so did my hubby:) Bon Appetit!

No comments: